Saturday, February 28, 2009

This is a reposting of what I posted on LMS for my EL blogging hw this wkend.
Oh and I replied to Natasha's LMS blog post already. Go see, alright?

Yesterday, we had our MTP and we heard Mrs Ouyang presenting us with many figures and statistics as well as targets. That was not surprising, seeing as this is now our 4th MTP in Cedar and every year we get shown the same things. However, this year is a little different in that they now talk about Prelims, O levels, results, etc.

I was just reflecting on Mr Sng's pep talk yesterday and I realised what he said was really true. In the end, what matters isn't really our results, but our effort. When we get our O level results next year, can we really believe that we have indeed given our best effort and be truly satisfied with whatever results we have gotten? It is sad when all the school thinks about when looking at us Sec 4s nowadays is our average L1R5 next year or 'value-addedness' or even whether we remain as a Band One school or not. Sure, these are important and we as Cedarians want to do our school proud and contribute in terms of excellent results. However, like my mom said, "All these are the principal's job to worry about. All you can do is to try your best."

The school wants us to do well but when we do well, it's not really for the school, for our parents, for our teachers, for our friends or anything. Ultimately, it is for OURSELVES. People can motivate us to do well but I believe the best motivator is always within ourselves. You set your goal, you know what you want, you work hard towards that goal. We may face obstacles, circumstances might go against us, but whatever it is, as long as we don't give up and press hard towards our goal, we will reach in due time. As a Christian, I believe all I can do is to 'do my best and leave God to do the rest.'

Mr Sng also commented about my class's attitude. He feels we're not trying our best yet. As Chem Rep, I can understand the frustration Charis felt yesterday when only 10 people handed up the EL expository essay and she had to go around the class chasing people for their essays without much success. Later on, Serene(our A maths rep) also commented that "the subject reps in our class have very difficult jobs." It is true to a certain extent. I hope all of us will work hard together this year and do well as a class in the O's next year. (Now I feel as if I'm writing a speech on option 1! )

Anyway, I have to go now but I just want to make an announcement first.
People who are free on Monday, please please make your way to CCAB, Bukit Timah to support the basketball and netball semifinals against RGS.
Bball match is in the indoor courts at 3-4pm while netball is right afterwards from 4.15-5.15pm at the outdoor courts.
Please come down to support! (Buses might be provided for supporters. If not, many people in 4I are going-me included- so just ask us how to go to CCAB)
Thanks.

THE END

No comments: